Sunday, March 18, 2007

First Entry

Because what I really need in my life is yet another blog to write...

Welcome to my foray into the world of baseball blogging. After a few months of running my "other" blog, the Foreign Intelligence Files (and if there are any FIF fans clicking over, it will continue), I realized that there was no real outlet for my baseball obsession. So, against my better judgment, I decided to start a blog for that part of my life. It will alternate between a few themes:
  1. I am a practicing Sabermetrician, and I'll be posting a few of my findings here and there. The questions that most interest are ones that have a psychological bent to them. Why do players (and managers and GMs and owners and fans) make the decisions that they do?
  2. I am a graduate student of clinical psychology and I've toyed around with the idea of writing a book on explaining psychology through baseball. (Although it looks like someone beat me to it.)
  3. I also teach statistics and research methodology in the psychology department (and do some freelance statsticial consulting to a few psychological research projects). There are surely a few would-be Sabermetricians out there who need a bit of a refresher on some statistical concepts.
  4. I am a die-hard fan of the Cleveland Indians. I went to my first baseball game on June 7th, 1986. I am an unapaologetic Indians fan. I still count October 26th, 1997 as one of the saddest days of my life. For some reason, I'm on an exile in Wrigleyville. (I live on the North Side of Chicago.)
  5. I try to keep an irreverent streak about the whole thing.
In any case, please do leave a comment and let me know that you stopped by.

No comments: